Re: install Kernel and GRUB in chroot.

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024, Marco Moock wrote:

Am 01.02.2024 um 19:20:01 Uhr schrieb Tim Woodall:

$ cat /boot/efi/EFI/XEN/xen.cfg
[global]
default=debian

[debian]
options=console=vga smt=true
kernel=vmlinuz root=/dev/mapper/vg--dirac-root ro quiet
ramdisk=initrd.img

menuentry "Xen EFI NVME" {
     insmod part_gpt
     insmod search_fs_uuid
     insmod chain
#    set root=(hd1,gpt1)
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root C057-BC13
     chainloader (hd1,gpt1)/EFI/XEN/xen.efi
}

Then this file tells the boot loader about the /boot or / partition.
Is that the Xen virtualization software?

The NVRAM is configured to boot:
/boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubx64.efi

That then hunts for grub.cfg. I believe it finds the first grub.cfg -
which has caused me issues in the past where I've had a legacy partition
on the disk that I'd forgotten about but the efi application sees. I'd
be interested if there's a way to tell grubx64.efi to look for a
particular partition UUID.

That menuentry above then tells efi to chainload the xen.efi
application. This is all in efi land.

That then reads xen.cfg and boots the kernel and initrd defined in that
file.