Re: Seeking a Terminal Emulator on Debian for "Passthrough" Printing

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 12:28:58PM +0100, hw wrote:
> Ok, and what's the problem?  That the server wants to print to the
> printer?  That the application sends data to the "screen" (a terminal
> emulator) instead of sending it to the printer?  That it is necessary
> to see the printer data displayed in a terminal emulator?

See, now we're going in circles again.  I already *asked* the OP to
explain the full picture, and they still only gave a partial answer.

It has been hinted to us that there are more layers in the problem
than simply  Server <--> PC --> Printer.  We've been told that there
is another layer of devices connected to the Printer, although this
was never confirmed in the "big picture" answer.

Apparently the (retail sales??) application on the server needs to
talk to all three layers of hardware: the PC (to display information
on the screen), the Printer (to generate ink on paper), and the other
devices beyond the Printer (reasons never given).  Communication with
the devices beyond the Printer is apparently "bidirectional", meaning
the server application needs to be able to query one of these devices
and get information from it, which will cause application state to
be altered, information to appear on the screen, etc.  Or maybe the
devices beyond the Printer are capable of initiating an async data
transfer to the server app?  Who knows.  It was never clearly stated.

Apparently the OP has a proprietary Windows terminal emulator + telnet
client program (name never revealed?) that can already do everything,
and they want a Debian program that can be used in place of it.

The problem for *us* is that we don't know what "everything" is (since
the OP is incapable of explaining it all), which makes it very hard
to find a program that can do "everything".