Re: disable auto-linking of /bin -> /usr/bin/

Hi, miphix

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 05:06:33AM +0000, miphix wrote:
> If you were to issue 'ls -l /' You'll find that /bin, /sbin,
> lib{32,64,x32} are linked to their counterparts in /usr/. I under-
> stand the logic in doing so. However, for specific reasons that would
> require exhaustive explanations that I would prefer to save us all from
> me doing, I would like to break this behaviour by having /usr genuinely
> be whole heartedly installed on its own partition. I'm cool with doing
> things the hard and painful way. Any details you can share that would
> allow me to figure out how to break, or divert this behaviour would
> be appreciated. I'm not elite with linux enough to figure this out,
> but I am comfertable with digging deep with the right background
> knowledge to navigate what's needed.

The jargon for this thing is "usrmerge". With that, search engines
turn up some hits on other people with your same needs, e.g.

  https://brontosaurusrex.github.io/2023/09/11/Upgrade-Debian-11-to-12-without-usrmerge-errors/

I don't know whether some applications start breaking because of that
(why should they, but there's badly designed software everywhere).

Cheers & good luck
--
tomás