Re: VAX emulation/simulation (was Re: systemd-timesyncd)

On 1/9/24 03:15, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
You ruined my day :-)

It was not my fault. Send complaints to the people who convened as
"High Sierra Group" in 1986.

Something similar to IBM's kludgiest relic of the early 1960s has appeared
in linux?

The unixoid community added System Use Protocol and Rock Ridge Interchange
Protocol in the early 1990s in order to get X/Open functionality on top
of ISO 9660. That's POSIX with long file names (up to 255 bytes) and
paths (up to 1024 bytes) where only 0-byte and '/' have special meanings.

A company Who Must Not Be Named introduced Joliet to store names of up
to 64 characters in a 16 bit character set (while still ignoring the
difference between uppercase and lowercase).

Linux mount(8) introduced a character mapping from the uppercase character
set of ISO 9660 to lowercase. This mapping also removes the version part
of the file names.

The idea that we need version numbers embedded in filenames
involuntarily may be "natural" to somebody.

I have never seen any version other than ";1" (and ISOs which simply
ignore the specs about file names). It's a non-functional relic, which
in Linux can only be uncovered if you suppress Rock Ridge, Joliet, and
name mapping during the mount command.

And I've been an IBM mainframe admin and developer too.

In the times when a full scale mainframe came with a female discus
thrower ?
   http://www.ibmsystem3.nl/5444/images/5444DISK.jpg

Ohmy$DIETY! A trip down memory lane. I recall those things, absolute pieces of junk, needed daily 4 hour calibration TLC to make them work for a couple hours. In a TI mainframe, circa 1978, these were made by dynex. I do NOT remember them fondly. 5 megabyte capacity. IBM's 8" floppies in the system 360 were thousands of times more dependable by 1985. In those times, my office trs-80 Color Computer had more memory than the 360, and with os9 level 2, a mini-unix, was faster than the 360.

Have a nice day :)
You too!

Thomas

.