Re: systemd and timezone

On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 09:01:29PM -0500, Charles Kroeger wrote:
> tzdata (2023d-1) unstable; urgency=medium
>
>     From 2023c-8 on the tzdata package ships only timezones that follow the
>     current rules of geographical region (continent or ocean) and city name.
>     All legacy timezone symlinks (old or merged timezones mentioned in the
>     upstream backward file) were moved to tzdata-legacy. This includes the
>     US/* timezones.

Wow.  I am not a fan of that change.  It's good to have advance warning
that it's coming, though.

> What's wrong with NTP, too simple?

NTP and tzdata have nothing to do with each other.  NTP keeps your system
clock in sync with sources across a network.  tzdata allows conversion
of the system clock into local time representation strings.