Re: Content of /etc/ethers

On 1/3/24 18:07, Steve Keller wrote:
Which tools read /etc/ethers, what do they expect in there, what do
they do with the contents?  Is it only used to show names to a user or
take names from a user instead of MAC addresses, like in tcpdump?

The Linux man page says the entries in /etc/ethers should be numeric
IP addresses or names which can be resolved by DNS, while the FreeBSD
man page says there should be fully qualified names in /etc/ethers
which should also be in /etc/hosts.

But does really some tool get a MAC address from somewhere, converts
it to a name using /etc/ethers, and then expects to resolve that name
into an IP address?

I would like to put names of hosts or interfaces in there, which don't
necessarily have an IP address or no entry in /etc/hosts or DNS, like
switches, access points or routers with multiple interfaces,
interfaces of a Linux bridge, etc.

And may the entry in /etc/ethers contain a '.' to separate a name and
an interface number or VLAN ID, like host.0 and host.1 for the LAN and
WLAN interface?

Steve

Hello,

My local network uses static manually assigned IP addresses rather than DHCP. Some equipment I designed needs to get an IP address so I implemented RARP which is fairly simple. The /etc/ethers file is read by one computer on the network when it receives an RARP request and reports back the requester's IP address. There is an RARP server in the Debian packages.

Best regards,
Fred