Re: Could/should you set Dir::Cache::{pkgcache, srcpkgcache} = ""; if all you are doing is locally downloading dependencies of an installation package?

On Wed 06 Dec 2023 at 22:40:23 (+0000), Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  What I had been doing is use "depends" to get all dependencies

I did that.

> and
> then download each of them.

I did that too. Not all of them, of course, as I don't need or want
all those packages.

> I think that is why I was getting those
> repeated binary files.

You haven't posted what they look like or precisely when they appear:
at the depends stage or the download?

> I thought when you said "download" you just
> meant "download".

Well, yes, and I just posted it:   apt-get download acl2
Usually I just use   apt-get -d install acl2   but in the interests
of replication, I copied your "apt-get download" version.

My only guess, not knowing or seeing your system, is that your
packages cache /var/cache/apt/{src,}pkgcache.bin is screwed,
and so a new one has to be rebuilt every time.

Cheers,
David.