Re: Isolated Web Co Session crash Firefox-ESR

On Sun, 2023-12-03 at 16:00 +0800, jeremy ardley wrote:

> On 3/12/23 15:37, Phil Wyett wrote:
> > Not to regurgitating info here, I will add a link below that will
> > instruct how to adjust or disable oom-killer in a sensible manner if
> > you wish to experiment (your choice and being cautious :-)) if it is
> > in fact the oom-killer algorithm that is the main cause of your issue.
>

> The issue is not so much Isolated Web Co being terminated, but my entire
> Mate session being terminated.
>
> I wouldn't have too much problem if OOM-killer hit Firefox. I have done
> it myself when things got slow.
>
> However, I can't see any valid reason for the Mate session to be
> assassinated? Or at least be inevitable collateral damage.

Hi,

Not being deeply familiar with the oom-killer heuristics, I could not offer reasoning why 'mate' is
killed. These heuristics by default kill the most memory hogging processes in theory and the
consequences of this on other processes I cannot comment on.

There is one setting you may wish look at and consider.

Reading:

https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/sysctl/vm.html

I see the following:

https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/sysctl/vm.html?highlight=laptop#oom-kill-allocating-task

Setting this to '1' may trigger a strategy that does not put 'mate' in the firing line as it changes
the target for killing to the process call that triggers the out of memory condition. I am sure if
my reading of this setting is wrong, someone will correct.

This would be done of course at your own risk after doing the research yourself.

Regards

Phil

--
Playing the game for the games sake.