Re: Hardware for a back up server? [WAS Re: How to use dmsetuup?]

Anssi Saari [2023-11-13 12:34:13] wrote:
>> My home NAS is in a completely different category:
>> an ARM SBC with on-board SATA.  Much smaller, extremely quiet (no fan),
>> and between 5W and 10W of power consumption depending on whether it's
>> mostly idle (the overwhelmingly common case) or not.
> So which ARM SBC and does it run stock Debian? And how many SATA ports?

In my case, I'm currently using a BananaPi at one place and at the other
I upgraded to an ODroid-M1.  In both cases there's only a single SATA
port (tho the ODroid has an nvme-M2 port as well which I'm not
currently using).  The ODroid-M1 is the main "backup server" and the
other holds my backup's backup.

Both run stock Debian stable (in both cases the installation was
manual/tricky rather than via debian-installer :-( ).

None of the services they provide are sufficiently important to require
something like RAID, which makes things easier.

And yes, I've had problems with the BananaPi's power supply (I had to
try various power blocks *and* cables until finding ones good enough
for reliable operation :-( ).
The ODroid's power supply seems significantly better in this respect.

        Stefan