Re: Help ! No syslog anymore

Am 13.11.23 um 10:13 schrieb Bhasker C V:
I forgot to answer the question on why I am doing this
I am experimenting on a no-log system where there is no writes what-so-ever to /var/log (except for mails) or systemd journal (currently kept volatile)
/tmp/ is tmpfs mounted
Attached is the rsyslog config as-it-is being used now.

With the attached rsyslog.conf, disabling PrivateTmp makes rsyslog log to /run/server.log correctly (verified locally).

I can only assume you didn't follow my instructions properly.

Please make sure after following my instruction that you have afterwards
# systemctl show -P PrivateTmp rsyslog.service
no

Btw, for your use case, a subdirectory in /run would be more suitable, like say /run/syslog/.

Also, you currently have
*.*				-/tmp/server.log
*and*
*.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
	auth,authpriv.none;\
	cron,daemon.none;\
	mail,audit,news.none		-/tmp/server.log

This doesn't make any sense.
This will basically duplicate the log messages in /tmp/server.log and interleave them.

Either you split up the logs facilities and log them to separate files or you only keep a single log rule like

*.*				-/tmp/server.log

which simply logs everything to /tmp/server.log