Re: Password managers

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 22:07:33 +0700
Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/2023 01:48, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> > KeepassXC if you want a primarily GUI solution which also happens to
> > be open source. (There's also a command-line version keepassxc-cli
> > which can either be driven from the command line or used
> > interactively in a terminal session.)
>
> Having system booted from Debian Live image (assume some disaster),
> how many packaged have to be installed to get access to passwords
> stored by KeePassXC?

As always, it depends on what you already have. Much of that enormous
list may already be there.

From a fairly large sid installation:

Install: libtspi1:amd64 (0.3.15-0.3, automatic), libzxcvbn0:amd64
(2.5+dfsg-1, automatic), keepassxc:amd64 (2.7.4+dfsg.1-2),
libbotan-2-19:amd64 (2.19.3+dfsg-1, automatic)

An alternative strategy is to keep the database backed up on a USB
device or uSD card etc. I do that anyway for laptop use, not
storing the database on the laptop itself. You could also install
PortableApps (and KeepassXC Portable) on the card, and have the
passwords available on any Windows machine without leaving anything
behind on that machine. Whatever you do, it's always a good idea to
copy the database to somewhere fairly safe whenever you update it.

Or there are other rescue-type distributions which have keepasxc, such
as Parted Magic. Knoppix has keepassx, but I'm not sure about file
compatibility with that fork.

--
Joe