Re: Hardware for a back up server? [WAS Re: How to use dmsetuup?]

On 11/11/23 15:41, Pocket wrote:

On 11/11/23 13:47, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I have used ssd drives connected to a RPI4 ever since the 4 came out,
zero issues.
The RPI4's boot from the ssd drives.
I have 4 SSD drives connected to a single RPI4 currently, using a powered
USB hub.
Hmm...  so maybe the USB connection is not directly relevant either and
the real issue is the power?

I'm forced to agree. The wall wart supplied with the pi kits is rather under powered. I don't run them on less than a 5 volt 5 amp supply, and like pocket, they only get rebooted when needsreboot says so after an update. In 7 or so years of running a Sheldon lathe built in the 1940's, first with an rpi3b which was pushed a bit and an rpi4b that doesn't even breath hard, for at last 4, maybe 5 years, I've had one unscheduled reboot. That I think is about 100x better uptime than I'm averaging running the same linuxcnc software on wintel stuff. That 5 volt, 5 amp supply is powering 5 other interfacing boards to get the job done. One of its jobs is running a clone of the linuxcnc.org buildbot.
It Just Works...

         Stefan

That would be my best guess also

Cheers, Gene Heskett.