Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On 11/7/23 16:19, gene heskett wrote:
On 11/7/23 18:42, Tom Dial wrote:
On 03/11/23 at 17:27, gene heskett wrote:
I have those 2 2T SSD's with a gpt partition table on both, allocated as sdc1 and sdk1, formatted to ext4, named and labeled as lvm1 and lvm2.
Temp mounted as sdc1 and sdk1 to /mnt/lvm1 and /mnt/lvm2

How do I create a single managed volume of labels lvm1 and lvm2 of these to make a single volume that I can then rsynch /home to it, then switch fstab to mount it as /home on a reboot?

You do not put a file system on the partitions you are using as LVM physical volumes. And you do not mount them.

What do I do if a gpt partition table has already been made and an ext4 system is already installed? IOW just how "bare" a disk is needed? Is writing a null gpt sufficient?

For software disk management (md, LVM, ZFS, etc.), whether to use entire disks or to use partitions is a matter of preference. Some people like to use entire disks to skip layers of drivers (e.g. minimum latency, minimum memory), to obtain 100% of the available blocks, etc.. Other people like to use partitions to apply meaningful labels to the partitions, to choose a somewhat smaller size to accommodate disks with different numbers of blocks (important when replacing a failing drive), etc..

For a mirror of two identical disk drives, I chose md RAID1 and entire disks in 2017. KISS. I think that would work for you now.

You will not need the ext4 file systems.

Whether you choose partitions or entire disks, it is good to zero-fill them prior to giving them to your disk management software. But, zero-filling disks and partitions is dangerous due to the risk of operator error. I use a spare computer with no drives other than the drive in question. I boot d-i, Debian live, a personal live USB stick, etc., and do the work. If I make a mistake, I will not trash a production computer.

David