Re: How to get VMware Player going on Debian 12 bookworm

On Sun, Nov 5, 2023, at 7:04 PM, జిందం వాఐి wrote:
>> PPS: If VMware isn't a good choice,
>> would there be a better VM supervisor
>> I could use? If so, can you point me
>> to a set of instructions for it?
>
> * these are MY personal opnions from
> experience [ almost decade ago ]
> [ may not be correct or relevant ]
>   * my laptop with amd processor [ low
> end model ]
>   * installation of qemu was impossible
> because virtualization [ svm ] is not
> enabled in BIOS, only high end models
> have it enabled [ blame on bios vendors
> for poor implementation, eventhough
> it is enabled by amd ] [ kernel 6.7
> commit [ 1 ] fixed incorrect data ]
>
> * so do you have amd or intel?
> * how much ram [ is relevant due to
> recent security incidents affecting
> intel [ little bit more ], amd
>
> * virtualbox [ 2 ], but it is available
> in unstable? [ 3 ] why?
>   * it was working flawlessly
>   * even if you have intel, installation
> of debian [ minimal installation ]
> + twm is more than enough ;)
>
> [ 1 ]
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20231027170151.GOZTvs%2FwR%2F47ib4+qe@fat_crate.local/T/#u
> [ 2 ] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation
> [ 3 ] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/virtualbox
>
> --
> regards,
> జిందం వాఐి [ jindam, vani ]
> [matrix]_ @jindam.vani:oikei.net

Thanks for the very useful information!

If I understand you correctly:
1) The box I'm thinking of using has a CPU that is an Intel core i5-7500.  It has 4 cores running at 3.4GHz, and It has 24GB RAM.  The OS is Debian 6.1.55-1 (2023-09-29) -- stable/bookworm.
2) The Virtualbox documentation (but not virtualbox itself?) is available in Debian Sid (but only Sid?)
3) Does the documentation (either from Virtualbox.org, or from Debian Sid) cover installation and use of Virtualbox under Debian?
4) How do I find out if it has virtualization/svm enabled in the firmware?  If it does, would I be better off with KVM/QEMU, or Virtualbox?

Thanks very much!
Rick