Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On 11/4/23 17:38, David Christensen wrote:
On 11/4/23 04:46, gene heskett wrote:

... my only previous experience with logical volumes 20 years ago
cost me dearly in terms of lost, irreplaceable data, like the only
pictures of my first wife ...

On 11/4/23 05:22, gene heskett wrote:

On 11/4/23 05:39, Andy Smith wrote:
Maybe it is time to just buy a "black box" NAS device and make all this someone else's problem in return for money. It's not the way I
go, but you have had a lot of trouble getting your own mdraid to work.

Good advice maybe, Andy Smith, thank you, but that puts it all at the
mercy of a $5 cable.  Not exactly my cup of tea.  Since I'm into designing stuff in OpenSCAD, 3d printing the output, made into gcode  with Cura, and none of the common tools for making gcode to drive the printers, or the printers own firmware, has learned how to roll up the code into repetitive loops, instead generating step by step printer instructions, so even the simplest part is half a gig of g-code. So the data is growing like a cancer. Really complex parts might be 50 gigs of g-code and takes the printer a week or more to make.

G-code, properly written is like a .pdf, its the best compression we
 have. I write it by hand for linuxcnc and have one 90 LOC file that
 takes the machine 3 days to run. Remove the comments and it fits on one side of one sheet of paper.