Re: Alternative to NetworkManager on Debian 12

Greg Wooledge (12023-11-01):
> ALL installations of ALL versions of Debian support "ifupdown", also
> known as /etc/network/interfaces, for configuring the network.  If
> your system is NOT a laptop, and doesn't move around from place to
> place, this is probably what you want.
>
> Servers?  Ethernet-based workstations?  This is probably what you want.

I second this.

I recently configured a series of workstations. They were Ubuntu, so I
went for what seems to be the official supported mechanism:
systemd-networkd plus netplan. It was terrible, the network would get
de-configured if somebody pulled the ethernet cable (and that happens a
lot here!) and rebooted the machine while they were at it, and the NIS
and NFS do not appreciate it much.

I switched to ifupdown and everything worked nicely.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George