Von: tomas@tuxteam.de
Gesendet: Freitag, 27. Oktober 2023 04:26
Bis: Cindy Sue Causey
Cc: Debian Users
Betreff: Re: Panic again

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 05:22:37PM -0400, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

[...]

> An afterthought up top here: Is there a program that will snag and
> retain boot messages specifically geared toward systems that never
> fully boot? [...]

That depends on what you consider "boot messages". Surely you can
only start retaining stuff once you have managed to mount a writable
medium for the first time, which is pretty late in the boot process
(you miss all that interesting early kernel and initramfs action).

There are ways to dump all that via an interface (serial, net),
but then you need to set up things (including another computer
ready and willing to catch and store all that output).

> Has chroot been suggested and/or attempted? I'm imagining that it was
> possibly yes, suggested.

What has been tried is either taking file system snapshots (either
through LVM or with a snapshot capable file system) or installing
in an overlayfs, yes.

I think it hasn't stuck because of the added complexity. I know
I wouldn't use that for esactly that reason. Debian upgrades have
proven to be so rock solid that I just don't see it as a compelling
choice.

Cheers