trixie update/upgrade strangeness

Yesterday, an attempt to install topcat package failed. So I ran "apt update" and "apt upgrade".

The first surprise was the extent upgrade, it was much more extensive than I would have expected.

After the upgrade the X terminal crashed.

Today wifi started misbehaving so I rebooted the box.

Now, suddenly, all files created on /dev/sda1 for the last 27 days have disappeared, even files I edited this morning before restarting. Like the clock was turned back a month. The disk, a new 18 TB, passed the test

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

There is nothing in dmesg or syslog to indicate a problem. And

fsck /dev/sda1

is clean.

Strange, no?