Re: Debian live boot corrupting secure boot

On 03/10/2023 01:34, Valerio Vanni wrote:
Il 02/10/2023 18:45, Max Nikulin ha scritto:

But neither Asus (bios from start of September) nor Microsoft (Windows 11) do that blacklisting.

Do you mean Windows install on hard drive or Windows install image?
should be "installed"---------^

Machine comes with Windows 10 pre installed, and then it's updated from Windows update. Then I installed Windows 11 with upgrade assistant.
So far, no blacklist of old Clonezilla.

Do you mean that installing Windows 10 or 11 from scratch could behave differently?

I am curious if just booting a recent media published by Microsoft (not install, just booting till first dialog) may change secure boot keys. If I have got you right, Windows with all updates installed still allows to boot old Clonezilla.

I just have spotted in the news
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2023-4692
"Crafted file system images can cause heap-based buffer overflow and may allow arbitrary code execution and secure boot bypass"

and a related link

https://github.com/rhboot/shim/blob/main/SBAT.md
Secure Boot Advanced Targeting

If firmware has the "EFI shell" option then you may try "bcfg boot dump -v". Unsure if it is possible to redirect output to a file.

I'll try. Is there nothing inside Linux efi tools?

Sorry, your question is unclear for me. I was trying to suggest a way to inspect UEFI boot variables without disturbing its state. If Linux images may do something with secure boot keys then I see the following alternatives:
- Firmware may have EFI shell boot option included
- Perhaps there are some tools for Windows