How can I get verbose shutdown from the GUI (Mate)?

Hi,

if  open a terminal window and type:

$ sudo systemctl poweroff

I can see what is going on and sometimes it takes almost a minute to power the laptop off.

If I press CTRL+ALT+DELETE from the GUI (Mate), the screen goes completely blank and I have no idea if the laptop is completely off or just thinking about it.

Is there a way to force verbosity during shutdown without opening a terminal window or creating a keyboard shortcut?

Thanks

--
Ottavio Caruso