Re: Can't mount NFS NAS after major upgrade

On 9/17/23 12:43, Steve Matzura wrote:
I upgraded a version 8 system to version 11 from scratch--e.g., I totally reinitialized the internal drive and laid down an entirely fresh install of 11. Then 12 came out about a week later, but I haven't yet upgraded to 12 because I have a show-stopper on 11 which I absolutely must solve before moving ahead, and it's the following:

For years I have had a Synology NAS that was automatically mounted and directories thereon bound during the boot process via the following lines at the end of /etc/fstab:

# NAS box:
//192.168.1.156/BigVol1 /mnt/bigvol1 cifs _netdev,username=<username>,password=<password>,ro 0 0

Then I had the following line, replicated for several directories on bigvol1, to bind them to directories on the home filesystem, all in a script called /root/remount that I executed manually after each reboot:

mount /mnt/bigvol1/dir-1 /home/steve/dir-1 -o bind,ro

I had directories set up on the home filesystem to accept these binds, like this:

mount /mnt/bigvol1/dir-1 /home/steve/dir-1 -o bind,ro

None of this works any more on Debian 11. After boot, /mnt/bigvol1 is empty, so there's no need to even try the remount script because there's nothing to which those directories can bind, so even if those mount commands are correct, I would never know until bigvol1 mounts correctly and content appears in at least 'ls -ld /mnt/bigvol1'.

Are there relevant messages in the output of dmesg or in the systemd journal? If so, they might give useful information.

This is out of range of my usage and experience, but from others I have found that some consumer NAS units still use, and are effectively stuck at, SMB1. SMB version 1 has a fairly serious uncorrectable vulnerability and Microsoft deprecated it (but continued to support it through, I think Windows 11. I believe Samba no longer supports it by default, but still can be configured to use it, with some effort, if you wish. Another, and preferable fix would be to configure the Synology to use SMB version 3, if that appears to be the cause of the problem.

If the Synology NAS supports NFS, that might be a better approach in the long run, though.

Regards,
Tom Dial

Research into this problem made me try similar techniques after having installed nfs-utils. I got bogged down by a required procedure entailing exportation of NFS volume information in order to let nfs-utils know about the NFS drive, but before I commit to that, I thought I'd ask in here to make sure I'm not about to do anything horribly wrong.

So, summarily put, what's different about mounting a networked NFS drive from 8 to 11 and 12?

Thanks in advance.