Re: Thunderbird vs Claws Mail

On 16/8/23 00:43, Peter Ehlert wrote:

I am a long time user of Thunderbird. No real complaints, but the GUI has been slowly been changed. lately I have been struggling with that, trying to get it to be My Way. Minor success.

also the .msf files have gotten Huge and that hinders rapid and easy backups.

In the process I would like to do some housekeeping, fix a few filters and rearrange my copious folders.

Question: do you folks recommend migrating to Claws Mail?
the initial look and feel seems to be familiar and comfortable, but I know little of the history and stability.

secondly, will I be missing the basic features such as Filters?

thanks in advance.

I use both email applications, separately for different email accounts.

I use claws mail for a minor email account, in which I may get one or two (or, if spammed, more) messages, each month.

I use Thunderbird for my primary email account, which can get many (a hundred, or, hundreds, depending on what is happening)messages, each day.

My use of Thunderbird, is basically as a webmail kind of application, over which, I have more control, than over something like horde or roundcube (that has been imposed to replace horde). At the end of each month (or, more frequently, depending on the number of messages left after preliminary sifting out of chaff), I download my incoming email, using the most powerful email application that I have encountered, alpine, that was evolved from pine. All my download email filtering, is done using alpine, with hundreds of filters, each with up to a couple of hundred different field values. I have several hundred or more, folders, for storing my downloaded messages, with some folders being archived on a monthly basis, depending on the usual volume of messages in each folder. My mail folder (the mail messages folder for alpine), is somewhere around 20GB, and contains messages up to about 20 years old.

Claws mail has an official users mailing list, which, I believe, is hosted and administered by the application developer, who also answers queries on the list.

Thunderbird email has no official users mailing list, but has two unofficial users mailing lists, hosted on groups.io, with a different priority for each mailing list, and, each of those lists, is run by volunteers, with no support on those lists, from Thunderbird or its developers. Thunderbird developers, and, the Thunderbird organisation, have yet to adapt to using email (it is a bit like the oxymoron "military intelligence", as referenced by the character played by Danny de Vito in the movie of that name - Thunderbird developers and the Thunderbird organisation, have so little regard for email, that they do not provide official users mailing lists, for announcements, providing support, etc - some of the operating systems, on which email applications run, such as Debian, and Ubuntu, are far more adept at using email - the Thunderbird organisation, has yet to come to terms with the use of email).

Oh, and, alpine has an official mailing list, involving the developer of alpine, who also provides answers to queries (and, considers development suggestions) made on that list.

So, the Thunderbird organisation is a bit backward...

..
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia