Re: List administrators - request for intervention - was - Re: Mailing list unsubscription requests and identificatio

Hello,

On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 12:12:49AM +0000, davidson wrote:
> The foregoing demonstration is meant to show how, using alpine's
> threaded mode, I minimise my irritation with threads that I find
> irrelevant to my interests

Unfortunately no matter how advanced your MUA is, it doesn't help
against prolific posters who derail nearly every thread with copious
amounts of irrelevance and outright false information.

You can easily see from looking at most of the large threads here,
the points at which they go off the rails and the common factors
involved there.

It is a difficult problem to solve as mailing lists like this tend
to promote a volume-wins approach, and the baseline user will not
have an advanced MUA nor necessarily the experience to know that
they're reading nonsense.

Things get easier when you use an advanced MUA, so people should
invest the time to do so, but let's not pretend that this will avoid
a mega-thread next time some outlandish thread hijack by one of the
usual suspects happens. Does this particular thread go much better if
you assume that everyone participating (except the OP, who doesn't
know how to unsubscribe, or how to spell it) is fully competent at
efficiently managing email but still posts as they posted?

Thanks,
Andy