Re: AMD GPU hard lockups

On Tue, 1 Aug 2023 19:13:42 +0100
piorunz <piorunz@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 01/08/2023 19:09, Celejar wrote:
> > Okay, thanks for the clarification. It seems, however, that I'm dealing
> > with a hardware issue (as Dan Ritter suggested): I did some more
> > testing, and after the latest crash, the system won't boot at all, and
> > the power LED blinks red six times, which according to the
> > manufacturer "indicates a pre-video graphic card error."
> >
> > "To resolve the issue, complete the following steps:
> >
> > 1) Reseat the graphics card.
> >
> > 2) Replace the graphic card.
> >
> > 3) Replace the system board."
> >
> > https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03599666
> >
> > I suppose I'll begin by trying the first and see if it helps ...
>
> Oh, that's more serious then. Could be power supply as well. Good luck
> troubleshooting it.

So, while troubleshooting today I thought I smelled an ominously acrid
odor of burning plastic. I wasn't sure whether it was real or a figment
of my stressed imagination, but when I opened the case, sure enough, the
cable feeding the GPU had burned and broken.

Fortunately, I don't see damage to the system's power cable or to the
GPU itself, just to the 6 pin to 8 pin PCIE adapter cable (the HP PSU
has only 6 pin cables, and the GPU needs an 8 pin connection). I
remember debating at the time (3 years ago) whether to buy the cheapest
one I could find, or to invest a few dollars more to buy a brand name
unit from a reputable company. I rolled the dice on the former, and it
did last three years - and hopefully didn't take out anything else with
it.

I'm going to order another one, from a reputable company this time, and
hope that it was just the cheapo implementation that was flawed, and
not the whole concept of 6 pin to 8 pin adapter cables ...

--
Celejar