Re: NetworkManager, Iphone, and Bookworm

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:26:51 +0200
didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Charles,
>
> it seems the connection times out because authentication does not
> succeed. Perhaps you can try to ensure that the WPA version is the
> same on both (on the Iphone I don't know, in NetworkManager, that is
> in the security tab of the connection)

According to Apple web sites, iOS devices (including iPhones) have used
WPA3 for several years. But there is no way to select the WPA version
on the iPhone.

No joy.

Just in case, I generated a new password, which I propagated to various
machines via my network, so that I could copy and paste (thereby
avoiding typos).

I then tried on my Bullseye machine. That connected just fine using
WPA/WPA2 Personal. So far so good.

I then tried making sure that the Bookworm machine also used the same.
On Bookworm, I have a choice of:

None
LEAP
Dynamic WEP
WPA/WPA2/WPA3 Personal
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise
WPA3 Personal
Enhanced Open

(Methinks it's past time for a standard to auto-negotiate this
nonsense, but that's a rant for another day.)

None failed. (NM insisted on a password anyway???)

Enhanced Open (whatever that means) also failed, and NM insisted on a
password.

The two Personal options both failed, and NM insisted on a password.

I did not try the others.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com