Re: General question regarding SSD and harddrive

On 7/14/23 17:30, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
So I have been looking at new computers and most of them come with SSD's but they are so much smaller than my 2 TB computer that I am not sure what is better.  I read a couple of pieces on different groups but still am not sure.  SSD's are faster but them have a quarter of the room for storage.  I don't use my machine for basic stuff and am not a heavy gamer.  Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated.

Moe

Looking in the archives, it appears that you have a Lenovo all-in-one computer with an Intel Core i3-9100T processor, 8 GB RAM, and 2 TB HDD (?). That is newer than most of my computers, and more than adequate for use as a Debian desktop computer.

If you computer has an available 2.5" drive bay and SATA port, I suggest that you install a small, fast 2.5" SATA SSD for your operating system, programs, and "hot" data (home directory, e-mail, and working directories), and use the 2 TB HDD for the rest of your data. I think you will be very pleased with the performance improvement provided by a SATA SSD, and will not need a new computer.

(A PCIe SSD is faster yet, if your computer has an available M.2 NVMe PCIe slot.)

Of course, all-SSD storage will provide peak performance; if you can afford it.

David