Re: Migrating system from u-sd to nvme memory on arm64's?

On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 08:45:27 +0800
jeremy ardley <jeremy.ardley@gmail.com> wrote:

> [I]t's preferable to not put a swap partition on them for wear
> reasons.

I'm not sure that this is correct. I have several SSDs around here, all
several years old, all with swap partitions and all in daily use. None
has failed me yet.

Are there any recent experiments or other studies that back this up?

I was working with people who worked with what is now called flash
memory in the early 1980s, when it came with capacities measured in
bits (256 bits, e.g.) and lifetimes were measured in hundreds of
writes. And they were not byte addressable; the driver had to read,
modify and write the whole kazoo back again. They were working on
drivers for flash memory for the AIM-65. Clearly minimizing writes was a
good idea in those days, but also clearly they've gotten much better.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/