Re: Information concerning support for nVidia GeForce 750

On Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 05:15:13PM +0200, Yoann LE BARS wrote:

> Hello, everybody out there!
>
> 	I am migrating my desktop computer from Fedora to Debian. The thing is,
> this computer runs an nVidia GeForce 750, and I need to run the real-time
> kernel, as well as I need some video decoding hardware acceleration. Also, I
> would like to switch to Wayland, as it seems pretty stable now.
>
> 	Well, it seems Nouveau is not providing video decoding for my GPU yet
> (https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/FeatureMatrix.html), but nVidia proprietary
> driver version 525 seems to support my hardware (https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/525.89.02/README/supportedchips.html).
>
> 	Before doing anything wrong, is it possible to confirm that I will be able
> to run the proprietary nVidia driver 525 on the real-time kernel—and maybe
> Wayland?

I'd suggest very strongly that if you want to do both, that you get Nvidia
proprietary modules running on the stock Debian kernel first and establish
that that works for you.

I would suggest that you perform an expert text only install and don't install
 any graphical environment (if you can - uncheck boxes ticked in tasksel
for Debian desktop environment and GNOME). Then install build-essential.
Then build the proprietary modules for the Nvidia card.

At that point, run tasksel again and install your preferred desktop
environment.

Once that's debugged and working, at that point work out the procedure
to do the same with the RT kernel. RT kernel is proportionately less used
(and therefore less tested by as many people) so I cannot anticipate what
difficulties you may have, if any.

It's always worth looking at wiki.debian.org for advice too.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy