Re: Why does Debian have code names for releases?

debian-user wrote:

>> But M5 can be a bolt size and a lot of other things as
>> well, while creative names may stay "more" unique.
>
> Nonsense. Curt's reply (which you cut when wrongly
> attributing my text to him!) provides an excellent example
> of a memorable name 'Penny Lane' - which I for one know only
> as the name of a song and didn't even know which town the
> road was in (Abbey Road I do happen to know).

I'm saying, the cute or exotic names don't sound like
technology, that's why they don't stick. They have to be
exceptional for that, like the Kalashnikov that is arguably
more known than the AK-47 - which is also widely known BTW.

> All names need context and the M5 as a road is not likely to
> be mixed up with an M5 bolt or screw.

Indeed, maybe search engines using Ubuntu can mix them up but
it is unlikely on Debian, also they are shorter and have the
feel of technology and not cartoonish PR brains at work.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal