Re: Deactivating and Reactivating the display of a NUC 13

On Sun, Jul 2, 2023 at 10:39 AM Stefan Malte Schumacher <s.schumacher@netcologne.de> wrote:
Hello everybody,

This is a revised translation of a posting to the German Debian
mailing list. Unfortunately
nobody there was able to help me with my problem but I hope that on
this list with a much wider list of readers somebody might have
encountered my problem and found a solution for it.

I have two NUC 13, one for work and one for private use. Both are
running Debian 12 Bookworm with Gnome 43 and Wayland/Weston. My
monitor is a Acer Predator XB273KGP, which has four connectors, two
Displayport 1.4 and two HDMI 2.0. The Display port can do 120hz when
connected  via DP. One of the NUCs is connected with an
USB-C-to-DP-Cable and the other one via HDMI 2.0 with only 60 hz. The
other ports are used by other computers.

My problem is that once the monitor is deactivated – either by
manually switching it off or by DPMS - the only way to get a picture
again is either to reboot the NUC or detach and re-attach the USB
cable. The monitor simply complains that there is "No Signal"

Do both NUC's have the same behavior or is just one of them having this problem? If just one of them is having this behavior is it the DP or HDMI?

This runs counter to my intended usage. I want to enable power saving
during the day and reactivate the NUC with a keypress when I want to
check my emails or search Google. Also, the NUC is connected to my
video projector via HDMI and I want to turn the computer display off
when watching movies on the big screen. An active computer is both an
unwelcome distraction and a waste of energy.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this issue? I suspect that
this is not the fault of my monitor – I have a windows pc for gaming
and it awakes from suspend with a keypress without any problems. It is
connected to another DP Port via a high quality DP cable.

I do not even have a workaround until a long-term solution is found.
At the moment I completely shutdown the NUC after use and start it
when I want to use it. Luckily this takes only a few seconds – my NUCs
are fast, especially with a Samsung 990 Pro – but I am still looking
for a better way to handle this.

Yours sincerely
Stefan

--