Re: Raid Array and Changing Motherboard

On 7/2/23 13:11, Mick Ab wrote:
On 19:58, Sun, 2 Jul 2023 David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com
wrote:

On 7/2/23 10:23, Mick Ab wrote:
I have a software RAID 1 array of two hard drives. Each of the two disks
contains the Debian operating system and user data.

I am thinking of changing the motherboard because of problems that
might be
connected to the current motherboard. The new motherboard would be the
same
make and model as the current motherboard.

Would I need to recreate the RAID 1 array for the new motherboard I.e.
re-initialise the current RAID 1 disks and repopulate the disks with
data
or can I just set up the software RAID on the new motherboard without
affecting the current data on the RAID 1 drives ?

Shutdown the machine.  Boot using a live USB stick.  Type notes into a
text file.  Use script(1) to record console sessions.  Use dd(1) to take
an image of each disk to an external HDD (consider piping dd(1) to
gzip(1) to save space).  Shutdown.  Take note of which HDD is cabled to
which motherboard port.  Replace motherboard.  Connect HDD's to the same
motherboard ports.  Boot.  It should "just work".

Post details if you have problems.

David

Thanks for your reply.

I don't quite understand what you are proposing.

Backup the RAID member drives first, then swap motherboards.

Do you mean the external HDDs would form a new RAID 1 array for the new
motherboard ?

No. For each existing RAID member drive, copy its blocks to a file on the external HDD.

What would happen to the original RAID 1 disks ?

They stay in the chassis and are connected to the same ports on the new motherboard.

David