Re: 60-serial.rules, broken

On 6/9/23 00:46, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Thu, Jun 08, 2023 at 09:08:59PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

Perhaps I've ben mistaken, but the files in /etc/udev/rules.d are not the
same as /lib/udev/rules.d, so which one actually rules?

The one in /etc, as David said. Unless it doesn't exist.

This is actually the classical pattern of "layered configuration", which
is widespread in the UNIX world. You see that often with a system config
which can be overridden by a user config.

Sometimes you have even three layers: distro (e.g. lib), local (etc) and
user.

Cheers

Thanks for the clarification Tomas. That would intimate the search order would be /home/$usr/someplace, /etc/someplace, /lib/someplace. Is that correct?

Change of subject:

I have a mod I make to the $PATH which I've put in .profile, but I've failed to find a place to make it autoexec when I login. And I'm tired of typing ". .profile in every shell tab I open.

Suggestion?

Thanks Tomas. Take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)