Re: Running Debian without initramfs?

On Thu, 8 Jun 2023, James Addison wrote:

Hi folks,

Does anyone have experience running Debian systems without using an initramfs?

I'd be particularly keen to hear about laptop/desktop/server systems,
because I think that a large motivating factor to use initramfs --
across many distributions -- was to provide a mechanism
outside-the-compiled-kernel to load additional device driver modules,
and I'd like to check that that motivation is still valid.

Thanks,
James

I don't know for certain but I think running without initramfs is
'unsupported'. Some of the discussion around merged-usr has been
predicated on /usr always being mounted.

If you want to do this then at the very least I think /usr will have to
be on the root filesystem and I don't know if it will be possible at all
without a custom kernel.

IIUC trixy will enforce merged-usr, it's optional until then. (bicbw, it
might be bookworm that will enforce it - all my systems are already
merged and I don't run testing)