Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unansweredseveraltimes.

On 5/8/23 16:57, gene heskett wrote:
On 5/8/23 07:49, Brian wrote:
On Mon 08 May 2023 at 00:23:43 -0400, gene heskett wrote:

On 5/7/23 12:48, Brian wrote:

[...]

Please give 'lpstat -t' for bpi51 (bullseye) and a buster machine.
gene@bpi51:~$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: PDF
device for HLL2320D-RAW: ipp://192.168.71.3:631/printers/HLL2320D
device for PDF: cups-pdf:/

Thanks.

'lpstat -t' only ever shows *local* printers. That is, printers that have
been set up (manually in this case) on the local machine. It will never
discover and  show printers on the network. This was mentioned earlier in
this thread, but you do not appear to appreciate its significance.

To be clear: HLL2320D-RAW and PDF are local printers. We set up HLL2320D-RAW (which is a working printer) togetger. Should you wish to see *all* devices
(local and on the network) us

   lpstat -e
   lpstat -l -e

Aha! now the two bpi's see all shares, + add the pdf generator if its installed. The HLL2320D as seen by -t, is the result of our earlier test, it actually added the printer to the local lp world. But not to cups.

I'll update bpi51 when the current part is finished, probably about an hour yet.

And that updated 77 pkgs, but did not require a reboot. And no pkg changed anything about the cups blank printers discovered screen at localhost:631.

And its back to making another part. Busy till around 2am local

Thanks Brian.

The second command was explained earlier in the thread.

[...]

gene@bpi54:~$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for Brother_HL-L2320D_series:
usb://Brother/HL-L2320D%20series?serial=U63877H0N346913
device for Brother_MFC-J6920DW_photo:
usb://Brother/MFC-J6920DW?serial=BROG5F229909
device for HLL2320D: usb://Brother/HL-L2320D%20series?serial=U63877H0N346913
device for MFCJ6920DW: usb://Brother/MFC-J6920DW?serial=BROG5F229909

These are the local printers on bpi54. All connected by USB. All set up by
you and all working

Your first mail has:

   > All of my bullseye machines are locked out, printer screen at
   > localhost:631 is empty, and no printers can be found and added.

You are missing the point, lpstat is seeing them, but cups is not.
That it seems to me, s/b where we should be concentrating our discovery efforts. FWIW reinstalling cups and cups-browsed has been done, made no difference that I could detect. Is there something I could put at the top of /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to make any failures or rejects generate meaningful msgs in /var/log/cups/error_log?

   > But open a shell, and type "lpstat -t" and it gets the full list of
   > available printers on that same bullseye machine whose cups output is
   > empty.

The facts as expressed are OK. Your interpretation of them is sub-optimal.
A lack of understanding about what localhost:631 and 'lpstat -t' show is
the root of problem and colours everything you have written here..

[...]
Apple ceased any involvement with CUPS development and parted company with its Chief Printing Engineer a number of years ago. Debian CUPS is produced by a team led by the creator of CUPS. Your requested fix is in place :).

If so, (this is the first I've heard of it, and I've only known Michael
since the late 1980's when we were both heavily involved in the os9
development, a mini unix that ran of the trs-80 color computers) where do I
email now to be assured Michael will see it? Is there a new cups mailing
list?

Please see our wiki.

Do you have any idea if that fix will be released for arm64 bullseye? I just checked bpi54, no updates available since the Friday update. Ditto for the intel busters here, but they're busters, so don't need the fix, they Just
Work.

I haven't a clue about arm64. I am not even sure that CUPS is the issue. You have a classical local printer set up. It works. There are three other printers that could be set up with the same technique. Remenber - you are the one who
does not want a New Architecture setup.

The big inkjet is well over 5 years old, and among other things the New Architecture does not recognize is it has two trays for paper source, always using the $0.12 a sheet glossy photo from the top tray.

Imagine what it would cost me to print all 1330 some pages of the current linuxcnc user docs. Not to mention I'd have to reload that smaller tray about 14 times. Tain't gonna happen.

And my ISP is having email probs its Monday.

Took them till close to noon to find it.

Thanks Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis