Re: repeat of previous question that has gone unansweredseveraltimes.

On 5/7/23 13:34, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
On 07/05/2023 12:26, gene heskett wrote:
There is a light at the end of this dark tunnel, IF you are willing to change the brand name on the printer. But in your case you've already done that.  So now do a search for brotherusa, go there and download their driver installer, unpack it, run it sudo if needed. It will ask you for the model # of your printer, enter it EXACTLY, the script will, if you've net access, goto brothers site, download the exact driver your printer needs, install it, integrating with cups perfectly but you will probably need to disable cups-browsed as it will make the default driver the everywhere driver, crippling 95% of the printers abilities.  And from the machine the printer is plugged into, and assuming browsed is stopped so you can use the brother driver, it Just Works.

Please stop spreading misinformation. I have a Brother MFC-L2740DW (which I believe is the exact model you have, or if not very similar)

I doubt it, does your handle tabloid sized paper (11x17"), including the scanner in its lid with an adf? Does it have 2 paper drawers?

and it works perfectly with the "driverless" approach, both with the cups ppd generator (everywhere) and the cups-filters pps generator (driverless). The first one leads to slow printing for some reason, and I had to select "high" quality to get standard quality; the second one is as fast as the proprietary driver. Auto discovery with cups-browsed also works. There might be some specialized options only available in the proprietary driver, but everything needed for general use (tray selection, duplex, etc) is available in the driverless driver.

You just showed that it doesn't Just Work, which is exactly why I run the brother drivers, which run just fine on a 6 core i5. Every feature this printer has, I can adjust from the cups menu's. The driverless setup can run this inkjet, w/o duplex because its w/o tray selection, printing everything on paper from the top smaller tray normally loaded with 50 cents a sheet glossy photo paper.

The proprietary driver is fine and works well, if it suits you, feel free to use it. Just be aware that it's only available for i386, not amd64, so in a desktop pc you'll need to add the i386 architecture. On a Raspberry Pi or other arm computer you won't be able to run the proprietary driver.

An arm computer has no need to run their driver, and yes, the rpi4b running 1500 lbs worth of 80 yo Sheldon lathe, but running buster sees 7 shared printers from this machine right now. And they are all usable from that keyboard.

If their driver ever had an i386 limitation its news to me.

But please don't say it's the only option because you've been unable to use the other ones.

This printer also has a cat5 feed, with an address in my local 192,168,xx, block, so even if its not plugged into a given machine, but the printer and the scanner should still be available at it ipv4 address. That should be found by cups running anywhere on the property, it is not discovered. But I'm mistaken, I now recall unplugging the cat 5 cable about 2 years ago. USB is faster at data transfer. By about 5x.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis