Re: disk usage for /usr/lib on bullseye

On 2023-05-02, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:

> unicorn:~$ apt purge
> E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
> E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?
>
> Rats!  No luck here.  Either "apt purge" is not an error, or the argument
> processing and validation happens only after acquiring the lock.
>
> Now we have to tread dangerous waters to find out more information.

You really don't have to tread dangerous waters (or rather wade into
them, unless your Jesus) because you can simulate without root privileges.

curty@einstein:~$ apt -s purge
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.