Re: Riddling over systemctl, pulseaudio, firefox-esr, and salsa.debian.org

Hi,

Henning Follmann wrote:
> I am pretty sure this is just coincidence.

I tried at least three times while watching activity by top(1). The browser
has a dozen tabs. First i visited others, then the tab with above URL. Each
time the activity increase happened exactly when i went to that tab.

But now i repeated the experiments and found that the effect is not so
clearly to reproduce. There seems to be a significant preference for
Gitlab sites to trigger pulseaudio's activity, but i also had system
sessions where i could not reproduce it at all.

Even worse, i had one occasion where
  https://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/
triggered the activity after i had hopped over several other URLS,
including
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/brasero/-/issues/357
  https://salsa.debian.org/groups/optical-media-team/-/activity
Of course i waited the due time after each hop so that changes of activity
would become visible in top.

The cherry on the cake was firefox-esr starting up with the tab that
shows
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/1436035/xorriso-image-remaster-unable-to-find-a-medium-containing-a-live-filesystem-ub/1436235#1436235
and immediately triggering the activity of pulseaudio.

At that point i concluded that the only way to permanently control this
madness is
  systemctl --global disable pulseaudio.service pulseaudio.socket

Have a nice day :)

Thomas