Re: home server for email box

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 12:01:57PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> pyh@ymail.ne.jp (12023-03-10):
> > Can I setup a mail server (postfix, dovecot, dkim, rspamd etc) on this box to receive/send email normally?
>
> Probably not: ISP declare IP blocks attributed to clients as “domestic”
> and a lot of important e-mail operators block them.

It makes sense to check for that. But having a static routable IP
is a strong hint that it could work.

Have you more details for that "declaration" you hint at? How is
an IP "declared" as "domestic"?

> Anyway, if you have to ask, then you probably have A LOT of reading to
> do before you have the skill to do it without making mistakes that will
> get you blocked or worse.

These days blocking goes the other way around. But if you manage to get
SPF & DKIP up and running correctly (perhaps also DMARC) your chances
are good.

Of course, some crappy ISPs (Microsoft, I'm looking at you, outlook.com
and hotmail.com) insist that you register *with them directly*, it
seems. But hey, that's Microsoft.

Cheers