Re: question about rc.local

On Thu, Mar 09, 2023 at 02:35:55PM +0100, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> 09.03.23, 14:16 +0100, coreyh@free.fr:
> > What’s the right way to run rsync —daemon then? Thanks
>
> "The right way" is what woks best for you, I suppose.
>
> But since Debian's rsync package installs a systemd service unit, it might
> be easiest to simply use that.

unicorn:~$ systemctl status rsync | cat
● rsync.service - fast remote file copy program daemon
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rsync.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
  Condition: start condition failed at Tue 2023-01-24 07:21:57 EST; 1 months 13 days ago
             └─ ConditionPathExists=/etc/rsyncd.conf was not met
       Docs: man:rsync(1)
             man:rsyncd.conf(5)

So... apparently this service is enabled by default (I didn't touch it),
and simply needs one to create an /etc/rsyncd.conf file in order to make
it work upon the next boot.

If you don't want to reboot, then you may need to do a
"systemctl start rsync.service" after creating the file.  Maybe.  I haven't
tested it.