Re: Trying to find the source iso's for debian buster and bookworm

On 3/4/23, davidson <davidson@freevolt.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Mar 2023 Keith Christian wrote:
>> Several versions back, we could download the source code
>> on various iso files for previous and current releases.
>
>    Debian CDs/DVDs archive
>    https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/

I like to get mine from packages dot Debian. Am using wicd as an
example because I needed to look it up anyway:

https://packages.debian.org/experimental/wicd

The right-hand column has a "Download Source Package" heading with
several files under it.

Source files can (at least sometimes) be found under Debian's own
repository location, too. An example there is:

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/w/wicd/

That location can be overwhelming to wade through depending on one's
level of experience. The reason is because anything available for
active releases will be found lumped together in a single directory
instead of filed under their respective release code names the way
packages dot Debian does.

Out of curiosity, I just checked ibiblio for source files:

https://distro.ibiblio.org/debian/pool/main/w/wicd/

No source files were present. It's just an executive decision each
volunteer repository makes depending on how much extra space they
might have available to share.

As a P.S. to Debian's own repository, poking around in there years ago
is how I finally started grasping how our package managers do their
amazing job. P.P.S. Reading text files under /var/lib/apt/lists was
another fun place to play back then, too. Was one of my favorite ah-ha
moments in figuring out how Debian performs with such consistent
accuracy.

Hope that helps someone.

Cindy :)
* runs with birdseed *