Re: Debugging what is deleting/recreating /etc/resolv.conf with wrong configuration, on debian stable

On 2023-03-02 14:19, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Thu, Mar 02, 2023 at 02:01:57PM +0100, davenull@tuxfamily.org wrote:

> > > akb@akira:~$ LC_ALL=C aptitude why ifupdown
> > > p   netscript-2.4 Provides ifupdown
> > > p   netscript-2.4 Depends  bridge-utils (>= 0.9.3)
> > > p   bridge-utils  Suggests ifupdown
> > > akb@akira:~$ LC_ALL=C aptitude why netscript-2.4
> > > p   netscript-2.4 Provides ifupdown

dpkg -l netscript-2.4 or even dpkg -l | grep netscript

Don't return anything… Not sure why "aptitude why ifupdown" mentions
netscript-2.4 at all

Oh, that's reassuring.  And also confusing.

Man, I really wish the aptitude(8) man page would explain how to read
the output of "why".  What does the "p" mean?  Purged?  There's nothing
in the man page that explains the symbols in the first 3 columns, as
far as I can find.

I wonder if aptitude just uses the dpkg-query abbreviations,
so "purged" seems a reasonable guess. But yeah, it would be
much more helpful if aptitude(8) man was not that ambiguous
about those abbreviations

I have *no* idea how to interpret this:

unicorn:~$ aptitude why ifupdown
p   netscript-2.4 Provides ifupdown
p   netscript-2.4 Depends  bridge-utils (>= 0.9.3)
p   bridge-utils  Suggests ifupdown
unicorn:~$ dpkg -l ifupdown | tail -n1
ii  ifupdown       0.8.36       amd64        high level tools to
configure network interfaces

Maybe "aptitude why" simply can't handle packages that are part of
the base system ("Essential", or priority "required" or "important"),
or which have been manually installed and aren't part of a dependency...?

unicorn:~$ aptitude why bash
i   bash-builtins Depends bash (= 5.1-2+deb11u1)
unicorn:~$ aptitude why dpkg
i   google-chrome-stable PreDepends dpkg (>= 1.14.0)
unicorn:~$ aptitude why abcde
Manually installed, current version 2.9.3-1, priority optional
No dependencies require to install abcde

OK, I guess it handles manually installed packages.  But not base
system packages... at least not in a way one would expect.

In any case, ifupdown is an "important" package, and should be present
on almost all Debian systems, regardless of what "aptitude why" says
about it.

unicorn:~$ dpkg -s ifupdown | grep Prio

Good to know. I'd except it to be installed by default by the way. Looking again at files in /etc/network, there are

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096  2 déc.   2021 if-post-down.d
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096  2 déc.   2021 if-pre-up.d

The laptop was installed on the 2nd December 2021, so the files existed from day one,
But if-down.d and if-up.d content was updated later.
Must by the reason why someone (don't remember their name) on this thread suggested I have installed
ifupdown a few months laters.