Re: need kino. or a substitute that can work with a sony hi-8 metal720 by handicam.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 3:08 PM gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> On 1/11/23 12:17, Klaus Singvogel wrote:
> > gene heskett wrote:
> >> What happened to kino? That was an all in one package, and while kdenlive is
> >> pretty, it can't capture from the camera...
> >
> > Thought everyone is using VLC for video stuff.
> > At least vlc is capable to do so, see screenshot.
> >
> Installed all that I *think* about 30 pkgs, dmesg says new device fw1,
> and it exists now in /dev/, but VLC can't open device, see logs but
> other than the plug in report, no connection.
>
> I'm plumb green as grass. And spoiled by my experience with kino from
> years back. Help!

I would check which group owns the new device in /dev, and then make
sure you are part of that group.

I often encounter a similar problem when trying to use a modem for
Caller Id. I forget to put myself in the dialout group, and I can't
open the modem.

Jeff