Re: How can I check (and run) if an *.exe is a DOS or a Windows program?

As far as I know, you can look into the file with a hexeditor (maybe any other
editor should do it, too).

In the first line is written, which OS is required.

However, there could be anything written, but in most cases it is set
correctly. Please do not blame me, if I am wrong, but I blieve, this is known
as the "mime header". But I am not sure, how this one can be trusted in the
Windows world. In linux, the mime-header is the basics of recognition of the
kind of data, there are no endings needed or analyzed.

Best regards

Hans