Re: [OT] coo, was Re: Debian release criteria.

> > On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 01:26:54PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> > > Rather,
> > >
> > >   coo² (slang) interjection, expressive of surprise. (Chambers)
> > >
> > > and this has been around far longer than my lifetime.

> > When using slang, the current meaning is the one that will be understood
> > by your audience.  Not some archaic meaning.
>
> Err, where did you get the idea that coo is archaic?

The part where you said this particular usage is older than yourself.

> We Brits use the word "Coo"; I guess the equivalent here is "Gee",
> which sounds very American to British ears of my generation.

Ahhh, it's a regional usage, then.  My mistake.

To an American audience, the meaning is quite different.  We only use
"coo" to describe the noise made by a dove, or as an (urban) slang
term which is a shortened form of "cool".

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coo

  A slightly shortened version of "cool"
  used by only the cooest people, coo is the best way to describe
  something that is completely awesome.

And so on.