Re: LibreOffice - any way to recover not saved changes to the file?

On Samstag, 24. September 2022 10:50:04 -04 piorunz wrote:
> On 24/09/2022 11:43, Eike Lantzsch KY4PZ wrote:
> > The problem is: if you enabled it and for some reason the backup
> > copy
> > cannot be written, LibreOffice also does not write the original.
> > The warning LibreOffice emits is: "Cannot write backup copy" but it
> > does not tell you that it will not even write the original, even if
> > that *could* be written.
>
> That's very interesting. Where does backup copy is being written? To
> the same folder where original supposed to be? Like Kate text editor
> writes backups as "filename.txt~" in the same folder?
>

> --
> With kindest regards, Piotr.
>
> ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
> ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
> ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/
> ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀
It can be configured under Options - LibreOffice - Paths
At the moment I do not recall the default. I put them into
/home/username/tmp
after the disaster which I experienced once.
It is not LibreOffice that is to blame, I think, but KDE in my case. Maybe
if working with Gnome it wouldn't happen. I don't know.
There is an edge case in KDE which impedes sometimes the write of temp
files no matter where you put them. It is difficult to reproduce. It does
not have to do with file ownership or the destination being writable.
I tried all that.
It is a real malfunction - "mal funktioniert's und mal nicht" in German.

The part for which I do blame LibreOffice is that, if unable to save the
backup copy, it ought to write the original if that can be written at
all - which in my case *is possible* even when the temp-file-problem
happens.

Cheers
Eike
--