Re: UEFI refusing NVRAM writes, breaking GRUB install and upgrade

Thanks, this works!

Is there a way to set this option during installation on a netinst image?
 - vinceh121

On 9/17/22 00:03, Steve McIntyre wrote:
vinceh121 wrote:

Southern French government is handing out laptops (HP ProBook x360 G1
EE) to students, whom a lot of want to install a Linux distro on.

However, many distros installs are broken by grub-install either safely
failing, or making the kernel hang while trying to write NVRAM boot
options. I've confirmed this on Debian Buster and Bullseye.

This causes the netinst images to give us a mostly working installation,
except for a config-less GRUB. For now, we've gone around this by
manually booting with the GRUB CLI, and then running grub-install with
the --no-nvram option.

However, the problem reappears when running apt upgrade.

Is there a way to mitigate this problem? Maybe a way to tell
grub-install to always use --no-nvram?

Yup. See https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#Firmware_does_not_support_setting_boot_variables