Re: usr-is-merged package in bullseye?

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 04:45:40PM +0100, Tim Woodall wrote:
> There's a package usr-is-merged that will stop usrmerge being installed
> with init-system-helpers (and so avoids bringing in its dependencies)
> but I don't see that available in bullseye.
>
> Most of my systems are already merged /usr and I'd prefer to avoid
> bringing in unnecessary packages when I upgrade to bookworm (which will
> be after bookworm becomes stable). Will the usr-is-merged package be
> added to bullseye before then?

Added to bullseye?  That sounds unlikely.  New packages are almost never
*added* to a stable release.

I can only guess that once we're in the bookworm freeze, some instructions
will start to appear for how users are expected to manage the transition.
Perhaps it will be possible to install the testing version of the
usr-is-merged package on stable.  From what I gleaned from packages.d.o,
it's only got a copyright file and a changelog file.  No dependencies or
anything, so if any package from testing is safe to install on stable,
it might be that one.

As far as usrmerge dependencies go, I was curious, so I did this:

unicorn:~$ apt-get -s install usrmerge
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  libfile-find-rule-perl libnumber-compare-perl libtext-glob-perl
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libpng12-0 xv
  libfile-find-rule-perl libnumber-compare-perl libtext-glob-perl usrmerge
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Remv xv [3.10a-20]
Remv libpng12-0 [1.2.50-2+deb8u3]
Inst libnumber-compare-perl (0.03-1.1 Debian:11.5/stable [all])
Inst libtext-glob-perl (0.11-1 Debian:11.5/stable [all])
Inst libfile-find-rule-perl (0.34-1 Debian:11.5/stable [all])
Inst usrmerge (25 Debian:11.5/stable [all])
Conf libnumber-compare-perl (0.03-1.1 Debian:11.5/stable [all])
Conf libtext-glob-perl (0.11-1 Debian:11.5/stable [all])
Conf libfile-find-rule-perl (0.34-1 Debian:11.5/stable [all])
Conf usrmerge (25 Debian:11.5/stable [all])

Now I'm no longer just curious -- I'm *concerned*.  Why does it want to
remove my libpng12-0 package?  What's the best way to keep/reinstall xv
on my system after this upgrade?