Re: Should a serious bug have made in into bullseye 11.5?

On Sun, Sep 11, 2022 at 09:23:17PM +0100, Tim Woodall wrote:
> Should https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1017944 have
> made it into debian 11.5? I thought serious bugs shouldn't make it into
> stable?

I'm trying to read your email charitably in the sense that you are
wondering how best this sort of thing can be prevented in future,
rather than as an angry response that seeks to assign blame to
volunteers.

Obviously, no one desires for there to be bugs, so your question
doesn't really make sense. "Should bugs make it into Debian releases"?

The various severities assigned to bugs are used to help direct
available resources and at a high enough level they can block a
release until they are addressed. This can only work AFTER the bug
has been discovered. So the assigned severity of the bug has no
relation to a release that already happened.

If you mean, "how can a release have happened that included a bug as
severe as this?" the answer is simply (lack of) available resources
for testing.

Ideally, every time there was a commit to the grub package there
would be automated CI jobs testing a boot of PV and PVH mode Xen.
But there's not, because nobody has got around to doing that. Is
that something you could help with?

Xen is a really really niche use case so I'm not surprised that a
change in Grub was not tested for the Xen use case, neither by the
Grub maintainers nor by the Xen maintainers. I don't think there is
likely to be any other distribution that does better for that use
case, either. Maybe the ones you pay to integrate this stuff
together, like Citrix XenServer.

Upstream Xen does have a battery of CI tests I believe, but I don't
think that the Debian Xen team does, so again the packages produced
by the Debian Xen team are only being tested to the extent that the
maintainers and volunteers are doing their own testing.

Clearly bugs WILL make it into Debian releases. It is worth thinking
about ways to reduce the chance of this happening.

Cheers,
Andy