Re: Which MTA for from-based smarthost selection, local delivery and queuing?

Hi Sébastien, debian users,
* Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> [2022-09-07; 22:31 +02]:
> (I am not subscribed to the list)
>
> Currently I am using exim4 as mail transport agent (MTA).
>
> I am looking for another one, because I would like to be able to
> configure the SMTP server to use based on the address I am using in the
>>From header. For instance, if I am sending from my personal account then
> I'd like to use one smarthost and SMTP configuration, but if I am
> sending from my work address, I would like the MTA to choose my work's
> SMTP server as its smarthost. Am I correct that exim4 does not allow for
> such a configuration? If it would, I think that would be my preferred
> solution, although I find exim4 really big and difficult to apprehend.

there is https://github.com/xundeenergie/exim4-multiaccount,
which worked for me, but I always felt uneasy because I did
not grok the configuration.

It's not updated since 2018.

> I was advised to use msmtp but, although it has the feature I am looking
> for, it misses two features of exim4 that I find useful: local e-mail
> delivery to users' maildirs and the ability to queue emails composed while
> the computer is off-line so that they get sent the next time the network
> becomes available.

I use exim4 now for local delivery only (think cron job
mails) and msmtp for delivery from my local account to
smarthosts.  There are no other users on my system=laptop.

Package msmtp features a queueing mechanism implemented via
shell scripts.  Its buried in the example directory of it's
documentation.  I set links from /usr/local/bin/msm... to
/usr/share/doc/msmtp/examples/msmtpq/msm... and use msmtpq
as sendmail:

$ lt /usr/local/bin/ | grep msm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   43 Aug  8  2021 msmtpq -> /usr/share/doc/msmtp/examples/msmtpq/msmtpq
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   48 Aug  8  2021 msmtp-queue -> /usr/share/doc/msmtp/examples/msmtpq/msmtp-queue
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    6 Aug  8  2021 msmtpQ -> msmtpq

It either sends email straight to the smarthost or queues
it.  There is not *automatic* queue maintenance nor
notification if mails were queued instead of sent.  There is
a log file though.  Next time you send another email the
queue will be emptied (if possible).

There also is a package "msmtp-mta" which I did *not*
install since it conflicts with exim4.  But I need exim4 for
local delivery.

In sum msmtp is configured for my single user and exim4 as a
system wide local delivery MTA.

For local delivery into maildirs I still use fetchmail.

Ciao; Gregor
--