Re: uvcdynctrl on bullseye?

On 2022-09-02 16:47 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:

> I'd like to use uvcdynctrl on a bullseye 64-bit system. But according
> to https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=uvcdynctrl the package
> is not available for any flavour of bullseye. It is available for both
> earlier (stretch and buster) and later (bookworm and sid) releases.

That is true, unfortunately.

> So I'm curious what the reason is?

The best way to find out is to visit https://tracker.debian.org/ and
enter the package name (can be a source or binary package).  In this
case, this leads to https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libwebcam where you
should be looking for "REMOVED from testing" links.

> And if I could use one of the other versions on my system? I'm sadly
> no expert on forwards and backwards compatibility issues.

Using an older version is usually possible, but it would expose you to
exactly the same bug that is the reason why the package is not available
in bullseye.

Using newer versions is not recommended, because they depend on
libraries not available on bullseye.  You do not want to upgrade to
bookworm's libc6, for instance.

The best option is often to use a backport[1].  For libwebcam such a
backport has already been prepared by the maintainer, but not been
accepted yet[2].  You would need to either wait for it to become
available or build it yourself, e.g. from the tag in the package's git
repository[3].

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://backports.debian.org/